Controversial New Campaign for The DA Student Organisation - Between 10 and 5

Controversial New Campaign for The DA Student Organisation

DA Student Organistaion

Launched on the Democratic Alliance Youth facebook and twitter pages yesterday afternoon, this poster, apparently the first of a whole series, is the start of a new campaign for the DA’s Student Organisation.

With 563 comments on the image and countless more on their facebook page and twitter by 7pm yesterday evening already, the poster is bringing out the politics in people with hugely varied opinions being thrown around.

While some are staunchly for the idea, others are sure the DA is accusing today’s South Africans of being racist and while some conservatives are appalled at the nudity, others have been asking if there’ll be any gay loving in the next of the series. Some are calling it a stereotype and some are calling it irrelevant to the times and for all those aghast at the standard of creative work, others are wondering what all the fuss is about.

The Democratic Alliance Youth Federal Leader, Makashule Gana, shared these comments with us,

“We are not surprised by the reaction of some members of society, it is to be expected. We live in a polarised society. It had people talking. Our intention with the poster is to make the people imagine the future. The poster will make people broaden their thinking.”

Melissa Weber, a DASO Co-ordinator for the Democratic Alliance Youth in the Cape Metro Region told us that she unfortunately can’t share who designed the posters or what the next ones will feature. She did however say this,

“I welcome the publicity and the debate it has started. The poster has gotten us a lot of attention and will hopefully help increase brand awareness on the different campuses especially where our branches are new.”

Care to share your thoughts?

Tags:

Worktype:

About the author

More posts by

16 Comments

1. Dylan says:

I don’t know about this. It seems like a pointless thing to say. The future of our country doesn’t rely on the different races getting together sexually. I wouldn’t look twice now. Surely there are better things to say. In our future, your children won’t have to walk to school from the middle of nowhere. In our future you won’t end up being stuck in a township till your last days. In our future there is an educated work force. In our future etc.

But it is getting people talking….and it seems that’s what politics is all about these days…..talking.

2. Robert says:

I think this is awesome. It’s directed at the youth, it promotes love and harmony between races, and it gets our attention.

When I see a poster blabbering on about the same old generic slogans, I switch off. This makes me wonder, and it intrigues me. It makes me curious as to what they will bring next.

People who find this offensive are either looking for something to be offended by, or they are being over-sensitive.

Who knows, maybe the DA is hitting a whole new target market?

3. Robert says:

Who knows, maybe the DA is hitting a whole new target market?

4. pieter says:

daso het djy dit nou

5. Hein Crous says:

I don’t think sex should be used for politics, yes for commercial products but when it comes to politics the focus should be on the future, our children etc. In Martin Luther King’s speech he talks about children of all races being able to hold hands, this would have been a nice image “all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands”

6. Afrika says:

Clearly those who have produced this poster have issues with colour. Please go and read Brent Meersman’s artilcle in the Thought Leader entitled The Problem is not Black and White. http://www.thoughtleader.co.za/brentmeersman/2012/01/22/the-problem-is-not-black-and-white/

Invest your time and money creating a future that promotes Equality, Fairness and a Patriotic state of South Africa.

7. Waldorph says:

i agree with Dylan

8. Oneness says:

So many things have been swept under the carpet. I like it when something like this campaign sparks up a lively discussion about what is and what we perceive as true to us as South African. Its true that most young people won’t really get affected by this ad but I’m sure that the older generation will be. And lets stop lying to ourselves about all this race stuff being over for SA. the fact that they need to put up something like that as an ad campaign means that some issues are still buried and need to come up to the surface to be addressed. and I agree, its not actually about the black and white, there is a whole different picture out there which includes Afrika as a whole and the role we see ourselves in it. Are we a united country/continent or are we still bickering about how different we are. The whole world is under a lot of strain and we need to formulate a united objective as to where we are going…because we all pulling at different sides. I don’t know what good this ad will have but I really hope that it connects us better to one another and really meet the needs of everyone…as humans on this earth.

9. mariam says:

As someone who has been in a” mix race relationship” I find this poster offensive. It implies that “mix race relationships” are about sex and not the emotional commitment between two people.

In light of creating awareness and acceptance, my ex and I dated each other for 4 years 5 years ago during that time we only encountered one racial motivated ‘attack”, so I think people have gotten over the “mix race relationship shock “years ago.

All this poster has done is create a renewed interest in the subject and created undue pressure between the couple as all eyes are on them as “they” are being discussed and their relationship is being microscopically analysed.

DASO PLEASE DONT ABUSE OTHER PEOPLE’S RELATIONSHIPS TO GAIN PUBLISTITY …IM SURE THE MIX RACE COUPLES, GAYS ETC WOULD APPRECIATE THEIR PRIVACY THE WAY “ANY OTHER” COUPLE WOULD APPRECIATE THEIR’S.

10. jezebel says:

i also agree with Dylan

11. Frederick says:

The campaign is awesome. I love controversial statements. The DASO has indeed manage to get people talking great stuff. And to those people who consider themselves the watch dogs of societies morals please get real. The campaign is so now and its directed at the youth. Sure most will be able to relate to. What nakedness really stop to be so conservative. Ten out of Ten DASO

12. Justin Richards says:

Great idea, although didn’t need to be naked, could have vest or tshirt and worked just as well. It raises good points, the normal youth of today can change the face of the country, more accepting, the way the new South Africa was supposed to be, the ANC have just driven a divide amongst the races. Everyone deserves a chance for business, jobs, tenders, NOT based on skin colour. A new working country has no place for old tools.

13. Giles says:

I’m a 33 hr old straight white male. I think that both posters to date are magnificent. They are done artistically, carefully, thoughtfully, and with a wonderful goal in mind. To all the people complaining about the people who are complaining: don’t. People see what they choose to see. If you are fearful, you will see something scary in these posters. God and south Africa bless the free thinkers involved in every aspect needed to bring this campaign to light!

14. Madelyn says:

I wont vote for a party who’s only way to get noticed is through sex. Seriously

15. Gerda says:

Is this an ad for condoms and safe sex?

16. nNick says:

Well… here in Sweden it´s always a white bride and a black guy in these advertisements… I don´t know exactly why, but it´s so clear that I´ve started to wonder about that.
    We should absolutely have advertisements with the opposite, a white guy and a black woman.. specially because of a powerful immigrations of black guys have done that in a few years there are more guys than women in Sweden.

Swedens capital Stockholm is not more blonde with blue eyes, it´s turned to dark and brown eyes.