A raft of legal developments locally and internationally is set to either hamper or bolster the digital advertising and media industry. Practitioners are compelled to understand the impact of such developments and to get to grips with the benefits of compliance with these and existing laws that determine the industry’s future. EndCode and the IAB invite you to a series of workshops aimed at doing just that.
The first workshop to take place on 9 June 2016 will focus on understanding the soon to be enacted Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI), that will have far-reaching implications for the the digital media, marketing and advertising sector.
Digital marketing agencies have long been collecting and using personal data. The industry’s increasing reliance on such data and the trust placed in agencies to secure their clients’ personal data requires serious consideration of the approaches to data collection and processing. A working understanding of such information and POPI is critical to mitigate risks to the organisation. Presented by leading ICT lawyers, this half-day workshop provides an overview of POPI as well as compliance approaches, policies and procedures.
Session 1: The MAC sector and POPI
- Introducing POPI: Privacy and the MAC Sector
- Who is impacted
- What data is regulated
- What acts are regulated
- Existing legislative obligations: CPA, ASA guidelines
- Defining Responsible Parties: identifying all stakeholders; media services supply chain
- POPI and marketing strategies: online; SMS; email; mailers; remarketing; databases
Session 2: Processing Principles and Risk Mitigation
- Understanding the 8 processing principles: Accountability; Processing limitation; Purpose specification; Information quality; Further processing limitation; Openness; Security safeguards; Data subject participation
- What is a data breach
- Understanding foreseeable risks
- Risk mitigation processes
- Penalties for non-compliance
This POPI workshop will be presented by Denise Fouche, who advises on many different aspects of media law.
This workshop is part of EndCode and the IAB’s ‘Creating compliant campaigns’ series of workshops held in collaboration with JoziHub & Between 10and5.
Thursday 9 June 2016
Jozi Hub, 44 Stanley Ave, Milpark, Johannesburg.
All sessions run from 09:00-12:30.
R100 buys you a seat and a light breakfast // R50 for IAB SA members. Book tickets here.