How Parents May Help Children With Essays
Essay writing helps in the communication of ideas, completion of tasks, and demonstrating the mastery of a skill. Writing is an important component of each elementary school student’s education. This fast-paced shift in curriculum has provided more importance in students learning how to write. Writing is now integrated into all core academic areas.
Here are some examples on how a child may encounter tasks in writing:
- Exams in Science may involve writing an explanation of the mechanism of photosynthesis and respiration.
- Problems in Mathematics may involve explaining how the theorem was proven on a step-by-step basis.
- Reading comprehension in an English class may require students to read and check the text as to the specific details from the passage in order to answer their exam.
Writing is not an easy skill for all learners. Many struggling writers find assessments and assignments frustrating and discouraging. It is a challenge for a person to put his ideas into words on a page in an organized manner. Parents can step in into this difficulty and enrich the writing skills of their children in the home. Here are some strategies on how to teach children about how to make my essay a more enjoyable and fruitful task.
Strategies on how parents may help children with essay writing:
- Parents must provide various writing materials. These include creative papers with fun pens and crayons as a great tool in motivating children to write.
- Choose an area at home specifically for writing that is free from distractions. Make sure that other members of the family know the specific purpose of the area and will learn to respect the use of that area.
- Create a list of vocabulary words to be learned in a year. Make a specific target of the number of words per week. These words can be utilized in the daily vocal vocabulary and written work of the children. It would be great to start with hindrance and challenge as two first words. A child can be encouraged to use them in a story.
- Prioritize academic writing at home. When children see that this is a priority, they will follow through. Parents can innovate by motivating children to start a science project and then write about the results or process in complying with the write-up.
- Encourage writing for different purposes. Children could either write a letter, write a fictional story, or make a shopping list.
- Utilize technology in improving writing. Children can be taught to send an email to a classmate or publish a blog post in his own blog. Simple platforms like Blogger or WordPress can serve as the publishing channel of a child in publishing his write-ups.
- Suggest taking down of notes. Whenever children go on trips or outings, encourage them to take notes and describe what they have seen. This could be a car trip, a boat ride, an airplane ride, or simple nature walks.
- Suggest copying. It would be a good idea to learn the words of a particular song that a child likes by writing them down. Copying favorite quotations or poems from books and plays would also be a good suggestion.
- Encourage reading stories out loud. As a child gets older, it would be great to ask him to share his stories. Listening without interrupting would boost the child’s self-confidence. Provide positive feedback on her ideas as well as her writing.
- Be a good role model. Children learn by imitation. They follow what they see. Thus, it would be good if a child observes the parent when he writes. Parents should make sure that their child sees them smiling when they are doing the writing. Showcasing one’s writings to a child would bring encouragement.
- Integrate writing with the passion of the child. If a child is interested with Music, then encourage him to write the lyrics of a song. If a child is interested with robots, he can write a short fantasy story about making friends with a robot.
- Make writing a family day event. Celebrate this by organizing a family night when members read books or stories written by other family members out loud. Another way is to tape stories to the refrigerator. Another is to post articles on the family’s blog.
- Write a journal. Skills are built when it is practiced daily. This includes writing. In order to improve the writing skills of a student, a child must spend time writing. It must be incorporated into the schedule of a child. This improves the child’s writing skills as well as building his self-confidence when it comes to writing.
Writing is a skill that should be included in the development of a child. Parents can help their children with it by doing the steps above. Doing the steps will surely encourage the thirst for writing for children.