08 Nov SA’s next top editor
South Africa’s next top editor is a competition initiated by Kirsty Galliard an editor herself and owner of General Post, a production and post-production talent agency. If you’re a young, talented film editor who hasn’t yet heard about the competition then you better get moving, you still have this week to submit entries and this is a great opportunity. The competition works like this –
Advertising agency, Ireland/Davenport, have developed a PSA concept for the organisation Mineseeker, a foundation dedicated to the removal of landmines. The offline footage has been made available on disc from pick-up points in Cape Town and JHB (from the 2nd November 2010). Any editor with less than five years industry experience as an editor is invited to fill in the entry form which is available on the General Post website and enter up to 3 cuts. You can also get more info on pick-up/drop-off points on the website. Entrants must then submit their completed edit to General Post via the designated pick-up/drop-off points in Cape Town & Johannesburg by the 12th of November. That’s this Friday.
10 finalists will each receive the opportunity to have an approval in the Aces Up edit suite alongside the agency, director and client, where one winner will be chosen. The winning PSA will be onlined, final mixed and submitted to relevant competitions worldwide and will get R250 000 worth of airtime. The winner will receive a 5-day Final Cut Pro Training Course from Purple Mouse to enhance their skills and an internship with Aces Up Commercials Post Production Facility as well as exposure to the industry at large.
The judging panel consists of:
– John Davenport, Executive Creative Director, Ireland/Davenport
– Lourens Van Rensburg, Director, 7Films
– Liesl Lategaan, Producer, Aces U0p
– Dean Fourie, Commercials Director, Terraplane
– JP Potgieter, Producer, Commercials Division, Curious Pictures
The winner of the competition will be announced and the winning PSA screened at an event at the Maximillen Restaurant, Da Vinci Hotel in Sandton on the 14th of December 2010.
General Post are hoping to make this an annual competition. Good luck to all of you who enter!
The partners in this competition are:
· Ireland/Davenport are the ad agency behind killer accounts such as BMW and SA Tourism, and will drive the concept for the PSA.
· Production company, 7Films will shoot and produce their PSA: one of their up-and-coming directors, Wednesday, will be directing it under the watchful eye of Lourens Van Rensburg. The winning editor will have the opportunity to work with 7Films on a paid job.
· Media Film Services will be assisting us with sponsorship of the camera’s, lighting and grips for the shoot
· Commercials post-production house, Aces Up, will give the winner an internship opportunity in the exciting world of commercial editing, allowing them to get to know the movers and shakers in the Film/TV and advertising industries.
· The Bladeworks a premiere high-end digital post production facility in Gauteng will be sponsoring the grading and online for the winner of the PSA competition as well as a grade for each of the 10 finalists.
· Purple Mouse has generously sponsored a five-day, Final Cut Pro 7 Apple certified training course for the winner, enabling them to perfect their skills.