08 Nov Your Street Cape Town winners
Cape Town is on fire, creatively-speaking of course. Not only has the Mother City been announced as the World Design Capital for the year 2014, but creatives continue to wow us with work of a stellar level.
Design Indaba is happy to announce the winners of the Your Street Cape Town Challenge. The seven finalists included:
- Verena Grips (Matchbox).
- Luke Pedersen, Jenny Pedersen, Kirsty Rielly, Jess Pedersen and Katherine Spindler (Violet’s Walk).
- Lorena Pasquini, Mark Henning, Caitlynne Francis and Hannah Williams (Acre Road, Kensington).
- Andrew Cole, Rene Bakker, Andrea Ferry and Pieter H Botha (Let Us Grow).
- Ashley Stemmet, Porky Hefer and Tsai (Urban Mosaic).
- Sonja Spamer (Kidz-Up City).
- Joe Schutzer-Weissman and Gerald van Wyk (Jamshack).
They presented their respective proposals in front of a jury explaining how each project would “enhance an aspect of city life using design”.
Acre Road, Kensington – Pasquini, Henning, Francis and Williams proposed using low-cost facilities to cater for positive activities in the community and it won them R100 000 to implement their plan.
Violet’s Walk – The Pedersens, Rielly and Spindler came up with the idea to develop a clearly-marked walking pathway with resting benches along the way. They won R50 000 to implement this project.
Urban Mosaic – Stemmet, Hefer and Tsai came up with the idea to reduce shack fires using fire-retardent paint. They won R50 000 to put their plan into place.
Let Us Grow – Cole, Bakker, Ferry and Botha proposed a project that would supply fresh produce to community members and create employment. They won R50 000.
Congrats to all the winners! We can’t wait to see these fantastic proposals being put into place.