14 Mar World Design Capital Cape Town 2014 | Call For Submissions
It’s all systems go as the city of Cape Town prepares for its year as World Design Capital in 2014.
Currently planning and developing a year-long programme of design events for next year, World Design Capital Cape Town 2014 is making an open call for submissions of local, creative projects and initiatives to bring into the global spotlight.
Being selected as part of the official WDC CT 2014 programme will give your project official WDC 2014 status, meaningful exposure on all of their communication channels, local and international visibility through their integrated marketing efforts, access to key sponsors and rights to use the official WDC 2014 logo and branding.
This is what they’re looking for:
Under the broad WDC 2014 mantra of “Live Design. Transform Life”, four themes have been developed to bring focus and clarity to the submission process. The themes are also designed to ignite the imagination of the public, and to contribute towards a greater understanding of the multi-faceted nature of design.
The themes are –
1. African Innovation. Global Conversation | African ideas that speak to the world.
- Any innovative, design-led project, policy, product or event that originated in Africa and that has global relevance.
- Unique solutions from a unique continent.
- African ideas that have been exported beyond the continent.
2. Bridging The Divide | Design that reconnects our city and reconciles our communities.
- Projects that use design to bridge the historical divide between communities, across borders, between first and third worlds, north and south, town and township, advantaged and disadvantaged.
- Projects that use design as a tool for reconciliation.
- Memory projects.
- Creative cross-sector partnerships.
- Collaborative projects that connect high and low tech, mass and bespoke, artisanal and technological, thinkers and makers.
- Urban and peri-urban renewal projects.
3. Today For Tomorrow | Sustainable solutions for people and planet.
- Green, brown and blue sustainability projects.
- Projects that focus on human development, skills training and entrepreneurship.
- Education and job creation initiatives.
- Legacy projects.
4. Beautiful Spaces. Beautiful Things | Inspiring architecture, interiors, food, fashion, jewellery, craft, art and creativity.
- All the beautiful things from our beautiful continent.
- Inspiring and original architecture, interiors, landscaping, food, furniture, fashion, jewellery, craft, art, publications, illustration, film, photography and creativity.
- Beautiful items that are sold commercially.
Alayne Reesberg, the CEO of Cape Town Design, NPC – the implementing agency for the World Design Capital 2014 – says, “We will use the World Design Capital 2014 opportunity to identify, nurture and promote projects that offer tangible evidence of how design can improve lives, within our uniquely South African and African context.”
The 1st call for submission closes on the 5th of April 2013. Submit here.
This just in, the WDC CT 2014 implementing company, Cape Town Design NPC, has announced that it will allocate R1-million towards the projects and initiatives that will form part of the 2014 programme.
The R1-million allocation will be used to fund successful projects and initiatives from the first and second call for public submissions, and will be apportioned on a discretionary basis with the recommendations and guidance of the WDC 2014 Curatorial Panel.
Cape Town Design NPC CEO, Alayne Reesberg says, “With 10 days to go for the first call for public submissions, we hope that the R1 million allocation will be an added incentive to draw fantastic proposals to shape a inspiring design-focussed programme for Cape Town.”
The closing date for first call for submissions is 5 April 2013. Submit here.