01 Nov Southern Guild at MOAD
The brand new Museum of African Design (MOAD) opened last week on the 24th October with the largest yet showcase from the Southern Guild collection. Also at the gala event, the six winners of the second annual Southern Guild Foundation Awards 2013 were announced. The awards endeavour to broaden the awareness of the caliber and potential of the South African design landscape, as well as motivate the industry. They are intended to relate directly to the ‘business of design’ for the winners, addressing practical and real challenges that face designers in the current landscape.
Selected by the Southern Guild Design Foundation board members comprising top design and business leaders, awards are made across two categories: Future Growth and Recognition of Excellence.
The three winners in the Future Growth Awards Category 2013 are:
- Ebrahim Assur, Industrial Design graduate from the Cape Peninsula University of Technology – “Ebrahim Assur has shown extraordinary maturity and sophistication of design as a student. Because he works in solid wood he couldn’t have a better mentor and placement than Pierre Cronje”.
- Laser fab in Johannesburg – “Laser fab have produced award-winning work in steel over the last 10 years for the most important designers in South Africa. Their commitment to producing new and complicated design pieces in small quantities for known and unknown names have earned them immense respect from the industry”.
- Atang Tshikare of Zabalazaa – “Atang Tshikare works in a variety of categories including fashion, sports, design and wall murals – and has shown tenacity and an ability to find and work with diverse clients, is an original and true talent”.
The three winners in winners in the Recognition of Excellence Category Awards 2013 are:
- maker to Market award: Laurie Wiid van Heerden – “Laurie Wiid van Heerden has shown exceptional maturity in the operation of his company. Excellent high res images well ahead of an event result in his work being used for invitations, media coverage and promo material, all product information well ahead of time facilitates fast client proposals and his faultless packaging ensures absolute protection of his work”.
- Object that Moves award: Kassena server by Dokter and Misses – “Kassena has caused an incredible stir internationally and has sold to clients at every showing in Dubai, Basel, London and New York. Voted in the top 10 products at Design Miami by Collective magazine and the first image on every blog report featuring Southern Guild, this is a truly iconic South African Design piece”.
- Icon award: Porky Hefer – “The winner of this award has an entirely distinct opinion – both in this country and in the global arena. Work that has irony, humour and narrative, a completely inimitable assortment of products that couldn’t have come from any other person and a fascinating viewpoint on design”.
We went to the opening, and returned the following week to photograph of our favourites from the diverse showcase.