09 Apr British Council + ConnectZA’s Young Creative Entrepreneur Culture Award | Call For Entries
The British Council through ConnectZA is – as part of their Young Creative Entrepreneur Awards 2014 – making a call for South Africans to enter the YCE Culture category. The British Council’s YCE Awards celebrates, supports and connects the most exciting young entrepreneurs who are innovating the creative and cultural industries around the world. This year there will be five Young Creative Entrepreneur Awards presented in South Africa. Each award will focus on a specific area of creativity and culture including Digital Publishing (won by our very own Uno De Waal this year), Live Music (won by Weheartbeat’s Dominique Soma), Culture, Broadcast, Fashion & Design.
The deadline for the YCE Culture Award is 2 May 2014. Entrants who fall into this category are people who are running businesses that are at the intersection between culture, technology and entrepreneurship, and people reaching audiences for culture by using innovative business models and media platforms. This includes businesses that are building experiences around film, dance, or traditional theatre. Also included in this category would be those entrepreneurs using digital platforms to connect artists and creatives and making culture accessible, and those entrepreneurs whose customers are part of a shared creative experience. If this sounds like you then you should consider entering.
The eligibility criteria is the following, entrants must:
- Be between the ages of 20 and 35 years old
- Own or be the driving force in a young business in the cultural/creative sector with at least 2 years’ experience and no more than 7 years in business.
- Be entrepreneurial and have shown their ability in the promotion of that creative sector in their country, in either a commercial context, public context, or both
- Through their character, drive and abilities, demonstrate their potential to be a future leader of the sector in their country and a future partner for the UK
- Have English language skills to IELTS 6 – ‘competent user’ or above
Winners will participate in a shared tour of the UK’s creative and cultural enterprise sector, including attendance at the Remix Summit in London. The programme allows the winners to gain unique access to and insights into the UK creative and culture start up environment, as well as providing a fantastic opportunity to make a wide range of business contacts that will act as a springboard for future business/collaborations between the UK and internationally. The tour will run from 13 – 19 July 2014. The closing date for submissions is the 2nd of May. The shortlist interview will be on the 13th of May with the winner announced on the 22nd of May.
Here is the link for online applications www.research.net/s/YCECultureCZA.