30 Jan Fresh Art From Africa | That Art Fair Launches in Cape Town 2015
That Art Fair is an art fair for artists.
Before you think that I’m stating the absolute obvious, let’s not forget that many art fairs have evolved into large scale exhibition and commercial opportunities for established galleries and the artists they represent. It is for this reason that That Art Fair, launching for the first time in February of this year, stands firm and proud in its position as an artist’s art fair.
An ARTsouthAfrica initiative, That Art Fair runs in conjunction with Design Indaba and Cape Town Art Fair from 27 February to 1 March 2015. Artists, artist collectives and organisations that support artists will be given the opportunity to represent themselves while any participating galleries are reminded that their focus is to stay strictly on the artists they represent. In this way, That Art Fair aims to be an “affordable art fair event providing a platform for African artists who work under the radar of the traditional art establishment and who do things a little differently.”
With their by-line, “Fresh Art from Africa”, That Art Fair is focused on recognizing, nurturing and investing in emerging local talent. With different art patrons, media partners and art world ambassadors, their aim is to aid transformation in the contemporary African art scene by helping young artists gain exposure.
Applications to exhibit at That Art Fair close on 3 February 2015.
A full That Art Fair program is still to be released.
Exhibitions to look forward to will include:
- Future Masters
- Comic Art exhibition by ComicArtAfrica, curated by Andrew Lamprecht & Moray Rhoda
- Photography by Snapped magazine
- An exhibition by SKATTIE focusing on the cross over between fashion, art and culture.
- Urban Art exhibitions and live art events by street artists
- Art for Change – art dedicated to social change
- Art superMart – an art and design pop up shop
- Soap Box – Culture Medium, an interactive art piece by Jacques Coetzer, will allow the public to speak their mind about the art world.
- Art Fair Salon – That Art Fair supports artists with limited means by representing them in this curated selection of submitted artworks
- Film Screenings
- That Art Party (in association with SKATTIE) – an opportunity for artists and exhibitors to let their hair down in celebration of SA talent
Dates and Times:
Friday 27 Feb: 12h00 – 21h00
Saturday 28 Feb: 12h00 – 21h00
Sunday 1 March: 12h00 – 18h00
That Art Party: Saturday 28 Feb: 18h00 – 00h00
121 Cecil Road, Salt River, Cape Town
That Art Fair
1 Day Pass (Online purchases only): R50
1 Day Pass (At the door): R70
1 Day Student Pass (At the door only – student card required): R30
Full Weekend Pass (Online purchases only): R100
Full Weekend Pass (At the door): R120
Bulk ticket purchases, 14 x 1 day passes (online only): R500
That Art Party
(Saturday from 6PM Only)
1 Pass (At the door): R50
1 Party Pass + 1 Art Fair Pass (Online purchases only): R80
1 Party Pass + 1 Art Fair Pass (At the door): R100
For more info: