13 Apr Do you want to be part of a New Wave of collectible design?
Southern Guild is calling for submissions of one-off, never-before-seen, collectible design pieces from South Africa’s new generation of designers for an exhibition entitled A New Wave in the latter part of 2016. The exhibition will be held in the Southern Guild Cape Town gallery in Woodstock, adding to the emerging design narrative in South Africa.
Are you part of a new wave of collectible South African design?
Collectible design is the term used to describe highly crafted design pieces that are either one-off or part of a limited edition. These products are valued for their considered design, high-quality production levels and functionality as well as their unique beauty. Prized by collectors, these items increase in value over time as they are produced in small numbers and are not everyday production pieces.
Launched in 2008, Southern Guild has become the most significant forum for collectible, limited-edition contemporary South African design. Exhibiting furniture, ceramics, lighting and sculpture, the gallery has become synonymous with groundbreaking, significant work on the local and international design-fair circuit. Curated by founders Trevyn and Julian McGowan, the Southern Guild collection has been shown around the world. Pieces from A New Wave have the potential to travel far.
- Submit a maximum of five images of the one-off or limited-edition piece, with dimensions and description of materials and inspiration (1MB each will suffice). Should your piece not be complete, send comprehensive plans, renders and drawings of the proposed product, with dimensions and description of materials and inspiration.
- Submit a bio of 150 words about the designer.
- Send us your details: name and surname, date of birth, telephone number and email address.
- The piece should be a new, functional product, in line with the requirements for collectible design. No funding is available for production.
- Work should not have been previously exhibited.
- Designers should be under 40 years of age and be based in South Africa or neighbouring countries.
- Send submissions by 9 May 2016 to Kerri at firstname.lastname@example.org with “A New Wave Submission” and your name in the subject line. Successful applicants will be informed by 13 May and will have eight weeks to complete their pieces.
For more information go to the Southern Guild website.