13 Jun Keyes Art Mile adds luxury event, The Emporium, to Art and Design Saturday
Taking inspiration from contemporary art outlets around the world, Keyes Art Mile will be adding The Emporium to Art & Design Saturdays from 16 June 2018.
The Emporium will add an element of luxury to this popular event by featuring the work of selected art and design creatives. By including Emporiums in Art & Design Saturdays, Keyes Art Mile is able to offer visitors even more by exposing them to new and established creative voices, while providing them with a space for critical engagement.
The Emporium, Edition 1: The Process & Power of Making
The first Emporium will take a behind-the-scenes look at some of SA’s best artists and design studios and includes a mix of fashion, jewellery, perfume, lighting, printmaking and product design.
Visitors can expect to see the following exhibitors in June:
- Anatomy Design
- Between 10&5
- David Krut Projects
- Frazer Parfum & Nandipha Mntambo
- Jacob van Schalkwyk & Stephens Tapestry Studio
- Made By
- Mema Designs
- Vatic Studio
Several talks and demonstrations by the participating exhibitors will be held throughout the day in both the Atrium and MESH Cinema. Visitors will also have access to the tech wizards behind Mary Sibande’s new interactive installation, A Crescendo of Ecstasy, and can enjoy all-day entertainment from DJ, sister duo Zanele and Zodwa.
Other highlights of Art & Design Saturday on June 16th include:
- Don’t miss the last day of the “Botanical Art Worldwide: Linking People With Plants Through Contemporary Botanical Art” exhibition, which features 25 different botanical art societies
- Mary Sibande’s long-awaited interactive and VR installation, “A Crescendo of Ecstasy”
- Anatomy, True Design, Okapi and Shelflife will all be open for browsing
The Emporium, Edition 1 Programme
Talks – MESH Cinema
- 10:30 – 11:00: Mema Designs. Designers Sian Eliot and Ari Geva discuss their innovative process behind creating handmade lighting installations and chandeliers woven from aluminium fabrics.
- 11:30 – 12:00: Frazer Parfum & Nandipha Mntambo. Nandipha Mntambo explores the multi-layered approach of creating her new scent, Dissonance, in collaboration with perfumer Tammy Frazer.
- 12:30 – 13:00: Jacob van Schalkwyk & Stephens Tapestry Studio. Artist, Jacob van Schalkwyk and Marguerite Stephens of Stephens Tapestry Studio discuss their creation of Constraint – a new, large-scale, mohair tapestry woven on a vertical loom using mohair spun in Swaziland.
All-Day Demonstrations – Keyes Atrium
David Krut Projects
David Krut Projects will demonstrate the complex process behind woodcut printing and the creation of large-scale pieces.
Made By will be hosting a jewellery workshop experience, where the art of wax carving is taught by hosts Henriette Botha and Nikki Sherman. Participants will be given the chance to design their own pieces.
Music – Keyes Atrium and Sidewalk
DJs Zanele and Zodwa will be playing a selection of disco, hip-hop, vintage and electro R&B, vocal house and jazz throughout the day.
- 10:00 – 15:00: “A Crescendo of Ecstasy” by Mary Sibande
- 10:00 – 13:00: Everard Read Gallery’s “Botanical Art Worldwide: Linking People With Plants Through Contemporary Botanical Art”
- 10:00 – 13:00: CIRCA Gallery’s “Forests of the Night” exhibition
Art & Design Saturday features an exciting mix of art activations and short films and gives art enthusiasts the chance to meet artists and designers as well as enjoy the many galleries in the precinct.
The next Emporium will take place on 14 July and will feature a new selection of artists and designers with a focus on photography.