The Emporium, Edition 1: The Process & Power of MakingThe first Emporium will take a behind-the-scenes look at some of SA’s best artists and design studios and includes a mix of fashion, jewellery, perfume, lighting, printmaking and product design. Visitors can expect to see the following exhibitors in June:
- Anatomy Design
- Between 10&5
- David Krut Projects
- Frazer Parfum & Nandipha Mntambo
- Jacob van Schalkwyk & Stephens Tapestry Studio
- Made By
- Mema Designs
- Vatic Studio
- Don’t miss the last day of the “Botanical Art Worldwide: Linking People With Plants Through Contemporary Botanical Art” exhibition, which features 25 different botanical art societies
- Mary Sibande’s long-awaited interactive and VR installation, “A Crescendo of Ecstasy”
- Anatomy, True Design, Okapi and Shelflife will all be open for browsing
The Emporium, Edition 1 ProgrammeTalks – MESH Cinema
- 10:30 – 11:00: Mema Designs. Designers Sian Eliot and Ari Geva discuss their innovative process behind creating handmade lighting installations and chandeliers woven from aluminium fabrics.
- 11:30 – 12:00: Frazer Parfum & Nandipha Mntambo. Nandipha Mntambo explores the multi-layered approach of creating her new scent, Dissonance, in collaboration with perfumer Tammy Frazer.
- 12:30 – 13:00: Jacob van Schalkwyk & Stephens Tapestry Studio. Artist, Jacob van Schalkwyk and Marguerite Stephens of Stephens Tapestry Studio discuss their creation of Constraint – a new, large-scale, mohair tapestry woven on a vertical loom using mohair spun in Swaziland.
- 10:00 – 15:00: “A Crescendo of Ecstasy” by Mary Sibande
- 10:00 – 13:00: Everard Read Gallery’s “Botanical Art Worldwide: Linking People With Plants Through Contemporary Botanical Art”
- 10:00 – 13:00: CIRCA Gallery’s “Forests of the Night” exhibition