South African photographer, Lindokuhle Sobekwa, was one of eight photographers who were recently awarded a Magnum Foundation Fund Grant for their social documentary photography projects.
Lindokule’s project, ‘Nyaope. Everything you give me my Boss, will do’, features stories of drug users within the townships of Johannesburg. His essay was created during the Of Soul and Joy project; a long-term art initiative that aimed to expose the students of Buhlebuzile Secondary School to photography.
The Magnum Foundation, an organisation that was established in 2007, supports photographers in an attempt to expand creativity and diversity in the field. The Magnum Foundation Fund provides grants and support to both emerging and experienced practitioners, with an emphasis on photographers working within their communities.
Prerana Reddy, Director of Programs at A Blade of Grass, Kira Pollack, Deputy Editor at Vanity Fair and Joshua Chuang, Curator of Photography at the New York Public Library selected the eight grantees out of 151 proposals from 29 different countries.
Other grantees included:
- Eclipse by Sagar Chhetri, contending with issues of identity within Nepal’s Madhesi community
- Orinoco Women’s Journal by Juanita Escobar, focusing on women who live along the Orinoco River, marking the Colombia–Venezuela border
- Santa Barbara by Diana Markosian, exploring immigration through the eyes of her family and examining the role of a 1980s soap opera in constructing her American Dream
- The Philly Bop by Tiona Nekkia McClodden, exploring a Philadelphia-based social dance through an autoethnographic lens
- Feminist Memory Project by the Nepal Picture Library, building an extensive visual archive of women’s movements and women in pivotal moments of Nepali history
- Exodus by Sarker Protick, focusing on abandoned feudal estates and decaying landscapes in Bangladesh following the 1947 partition of Bengal
- On Andean Ground: The Yawar Fiesta by Martin Weber, looking at culture clashes in Latin America through an annual Andean ritual of resistance