06 Jan OPEN CALL: The British Council & Twyg Call for Sub-Saharan African Storytellers
The British Council and Twyg are collaborating on an exciting design futures storytelling project. To make this possible, they are on the search for multimedia storytellers who will document the journeys of six designers across southern Africa who participated in the Circular Design Lab in November 2019.
Writers, videographers, photographers, multimedia storytellers and audio artists from Malawi, Zambia, Mauritius, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, and SA are invited to apply.
One storyteller in each country will be selected to create a narrative that will deepen the understanding of the Sub-Saharan Africa design sector. The storytellers should have an interest in design and the circular economy. The successful candidates will show the potential to creatively use one or more media and to sensitively construct a narrative about a designer and design process. The successful candidates will be invited to participate in a workshop in Cape Town, where storytellers will share ideas, explore creative storytelling, and connect with other professionals.
• All publishable mediums are encouraged
• All genres are encouraged
• There is no submission fee
• Storytellers will be compensated
• Storytellers must be between the ages of 18-35 with a working knowledge of English
• The British Council and Twyg does not discriminate against sexual orientation or people with disabilities
• Storytellers must be available to travel to Cape Town during the week of 10 February 2020
• Hold a valid passport
• Submissions will be assessed on the potential to create quality stories for the design sector and a broader audience
• Storytellers will hold copyright of their content but agree to authorise/license a number of publications to use this work free of charge as part of the project
How to apply:
• Send three examples of your published work in English (max 2 pages / 1000 words each story and/or video recording and/or audio and/or photographs) to Jackie@twyg.co.za cc Rutendo@twyg.co.za;
• Although not a requirement, previous work on sustainability and/or design would be an advantage;
• Attach your CV
• Deadline for receipt of submission is 9 January 2020
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted on the 10 January 2020. If shortlisted, candidates should be available to be interviewed on either the 13th or 14th of January 2020.