06 Aug Creative Women Month Is Back: Bigger & Bolder Than Before
Last year, 10and5 hosted Creative Women Week, a week-long celebration of women in the creative industry, to highlight their achievements, contributions as well as their impact. We hosted a number of events and activations including our first Instagram Auction, a lucky draw to win a Fabrica rug, a series of FEAST dinners, as well as our first Film Club in partnership with Ster Kinekor. All activation proceeds were donated to the SheSaid.so #InclusionBeforeProfit campaign, which supports three women and LGBTQI+ charities.
This year, we have decided to slightly change our approach to Women’s Month to ensure that we not only celebrate and highlight women’s achievements, but also support their struggles, and uplift their voices. In the current climate of South Africa’s dual pandemics – COVID-19 and gender-based violence – we will endeavour to pay tribute to our women, and actively vocalise our stance.
We also know that creatives have been hit particularly hard by the economic effects of the national lockdown, so, in keeping with our mission to highlight South African creatives, with this campaign we will not only continue to feature women creatives across our platforms but also provide the opportunity for them to showcase (and sell!) their works.
Here’s what to expect:
To highlight women creatives and their work, we will be hosting our third Instagram Auction from 31st August to 3rd September. We’ve paired up with six curators to source artworks from up-and-coming creatives across the country. Our audience members will be able to bid on each artwork until the hammer falls, and the highest bidder becomes the winner of the work.
Make sure you tune into our IG page to bid on the artworks curated by these amazing women:
- 31 August: Curated by Binwe Adebayo
- 1 September: Curated by Nkule Mabaso
- 2 September: Curated by Latitudes
- 3 September: Curated by Lulama Wolf
- 3 September: Curated by Thembi Matroshe
- PLUS 4 x Dinner experiences curated by Hannerie Visser (Studio H)
Featuring women guest speakers only, these webinars will focus on issues specific to women, especially in the workplace and creative industry. Tackling controversial issues from balancing motherhood and career, sexual harassment at work, the glass ceiling, and the gender wage gap, these webinars are sure to spark conversation and get you talking.
- ‘HIR-SELF’ at Work in the Art World in partnership with Latitudes (Monday, 10 August)
- Activism and Social Change in the Creative Industry (Friday, 14 August)
- What Does Success Look Like For Women? (Monday, 17 August)
- Women in Weed in partnership with KushKush (Friday, 21 August)
- Balancing Motherhood and a Career (Friday, 28 August)
- Creative Women in Advertising (Tuesday, 25 August)
- Women in UX (Monday, 31 August)
We are hosting expert women creatives who will talk about their craft to an intimate group of virtual attendees. We want to give you the opportunity to learn tricks of the trade from the creatives you love. With the purchase of your CWM Club Ticket, you get exclusive access to the masterclass of your choice.
Hosts & Topics:
- Photography with Bianca Theron (Monday, 24 August)
- Creative Business and Marketing with Sibu Mabena (Thursday, 27 August)
Film-making with Keitumetse Qhali (Monday, 31 August)
Curated Editorial Content
Our editorial content for August will consist of a curated selection of in-depth articles, reviews, interviews, features, and analyses of issues affecting women in the creative Industry. These hard-hitting articles will also include a particular focus on creatives who use their medium and discipline to express messages of social justice and change. While 10and5 is best known for highlighting local emerging creatives, we will shift towards content that truly affects, and reflects, creative women in South Africa.
On Women’s Day, we are launching an Instagram-only campaign to recognise, honour and show our support for the Heroes of Gender-Based Violence. We have received 50 nominations for GBV Heroes from 15 organisations, including Saartjie Baartman Centre for Women and Children, Tears Foundation, Sisters Incorporated, Ilitha Labantu, Lawyers Against Abuse, and L’Abrie de Dieu Safe House Stellenbosch. With this campaign, we aim to break the silence and give faces and names to the survivors, activists, counsellors, legal aid, social workers and women on the front lines of the war on GBV. We have teamed up with 50 women illustrators who have each recreated the portrait of a GBV Hero. Keep your eye on our IG page as we release these illustrations every day until the end of the month.
A poster with all 50 illustrations will be available to purchase on our website at the end of August, with all proceeds from the sales going back to the organisations who contributed to this initiative.
Our Creative Women’s Month Club Ticket holders are automatically entered into a number of amazing giveaways, which will be announced throughout the course of the month.
You stand the chance to win:
- Tutu Lamp valued at R8,500
- Vivo Y12 smartphone valued at R3,999
- Vivo Y30 smartphone valued at R4,999
- 2 x Bio Oil Hampers valued at R2,000 each
- Set of 6 DAM glasses valued at R1,170
- and more coming soon!
What’s included in my ticket?
- Limited edition Creative Women’s Month merchandise
- GBV Heroes poster
- Exclusive access to a masterclass of your choice
- Entry into exclusive giveaways
- Discount voucher for KushKush
- Discount voucher for 10and5’s Shortrun merchandise
- Additionally, the first 40 individuals to purchase tickets will get a Nando’s Clout Book and a discount voucher to Granadilla Eats.
Purchase your tickets here.